Ok, before my gumbo kings and queens try to assassinate me, please know that I hail from the great city of New Orleans. And yes I’m allowed to make a veganized chicken and sausage gumbo! Well, anyone can make a vegan gumbo, but it just hits differently when you grew up eating gumbo all your life.
Vegan “Chicken” & “Sausage” Gumbo
1 medium sized green bell pepper chopped
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 cup of flour
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 package of beyond meat sausage sliced
1 package of vegan chicken strips
3 cups of vegetable stock plus 1 cup of water
2 tablespoons of creole seasoning
1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of salt, more to taste
1 teaspoon of dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 tablespoon of file
1 cup of okra *optional
2 chopped green onion for garnish
- Chop first four ingredients and set aside in a bowl cover and fridge.
- Add oil into a pan on medium heat, sprinkle flour and stir together until combined. Stir the roux until the color is a dark peanut butter color, this usually takes about 15-20 minutes, be sure to keep stirring to prevent it from burning.
- Once the roux is done, slowly add the vegetable stock, 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and whisk until the stock and roux are both combined. You want to whisk the liquid well for a smooth liquid. Set stove to a low heat and let simmer on low.
- In a separate pan, heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil once hot, add the chopped ingredients and sauté until tender about 8 minutes. add sliced vegan sausage and vegan chicken, add the other tablespoon of creole seasoning into
- Add sliced vegan sausage and chicken into the chopped ingredients, with the remaining tablespoon of creole seasoning, add the garlic powder and saute all the ingredients until sausage is browned.
- Add the cooked sausage, chicken and chopped ingredients into the liquid, add the okra if you are using it. Add the bay leaf in and cook on a low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
- At the last 5 minutes stir in your file, taste the gumbo and adjust the taste to your liking. Enjoy over hot white rice garnish with chopped green onion. Enjoy!
- Adding okra is optional.