I literally could not come up with a name for this waffle! Everything I tried just sound corny, so to make my life easy by not putting too much stress on a name for this waffle, I settled on “The Savory Waffle”. I know, quite original lol, but hey it’s all about the actual recipe. Let’s talk about it.
Adding chorizo on top of this savory waffle gave it so much spunk! My taste buds took a one way ticket straight into flavor town. The flavor profile is definitely on the Mexican side of town, and the ingredients are really simple no fuss flavors.
Let’s look into the grocery list and tools, you may have some of these items on hand already.
Ingredients & Tools
- baking powder
- Sazon seasoning
- Taco seasoning
- kosher salt
- canned low sodium corn
- can of Rotel
- can of green chilis
- pepper jack cheese
- sour cream
- vidalia sweet onion
This recipe makes about 6 waffles and can hold up in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When making your waffles be sure to place a baking sheet under your waffle iron, that makes clean up less fussy.
To avoid spillage like the photo above, try filling the batter half full into the spoon ladle. When you’re done with making your batter, plug your waffle iron in and spray the waffle iron with cooking spray once its hot.
To give the batter some savory spunk I used Sazon seasoning along with Taco seasoning and a pinch of kosher salt. Those flavors paired with the chorizo and sweet Vidalia onion are a knockout! The lovely drizzle that is made of sour cream, lime juice, and cilantro just ties all the flavors together so well. The corn and green chillies lends Mexican flavor, along with the pepper jack cheese to give it a subtle kick. If savory is your taste you are going to really like this recipe.
I think it’s time to give this recipe a go!Jump to Recipe
I’m so excited for you to try this recipe out! Be sure to pin this recipe on your Pinterest you can also print this out directly from your computer. On Instagram? Be sure to follow me there where I post fun cooking videos and kitchen tips. And Since you’re here head on over to my lovely kitchen shop, where you can shop for all the delicious kitchen ingredients.
The Savory WaffleCourse: Brunch, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
2 cups of flour
1-3/4 cup of milk
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon of taco seasoning
1/2 tablespoon of saloon seasoning
1 can of corn drained
1/2 can of been Rotel drained
1 small can of diced green chilis
1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
1- 8 oz package of chorizo
1/2 of sweet onion sliced
- For Lime Crema Sauce
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 of a lime juiced
a pinch of kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, beat eggs together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl add flour, sazon, taco seasoning and salt, whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture into the eggs stir to combine, add milk, oil stir together to combine.
- Add the canned ingredients into the batter and shredded cheese, fold gently.
- In a medium sized bowl, add sour cream, lime juice, salt and cilantro, whisk together until combined.
- In a skillet with a tablespoon of oil, sauté onions and chorizo together just until onions are soft.
- Plug waffle iron in turn on to medium heat if there is a setting, spray the cooking spray onto waffle iron.
- With a spoon ladle, scoop about half way and onto your waffle iron, cook until golden brown.
- Serve with chorizo and onions on top, drizzle with cilantro lime crema.