Let’s just take a moment to thank God for creativity, and butter-milk pancakes… I’m not sure there’s one person that doesn’t like a good butter-milk pancake. It’s like the best thing under ice-cream in my book. And it only gets better I tell you.
Now, pancakes from the box are one thing (that has gotten me by most days), but pancakes from scratch?! Now! we are talking. This recipe was both joy and pain. The amount of flour and milk I wasted in my feat to come up with a winning recipe, is downright shameful as I hate to waste anything! After a little math and chemistry, you read that right math! and chemistry! My two worst subjects in High School (not ashamed) I did it! If you follow this recipe step by step I promise you, you will have a terrific, delicious, perfect butter-milk pancake. The key is to not! I repeat not! over-mix. Over-mixing is the main reason pancakes turn out flat and not fluffy, rubbery, instead of soft and melt in your mouth.
After composing a winning butter-milk pancake batter the fun began. The toppings! A pancake, just like ice-cream can be topped, mixed, and matched with just about anything your heart desires. My heart was desiring a caramel-apple topping. This is a dairy rich butter-milk recipe that yields a fluffy, melt in your mouth pancake. Dairy rich meaning you will be using two milks, buttermilk, and whole milk the outcome glorious.
This butter-milk pancake recipe is delicious, also quite simple! So, simple in fact kids can have a go at this one. Mixing all your dry ingredients into one bowl, and mixing all your wet ingredients into another bowl. And finally mixing them altogether it’s that easy. And the fun part is watching them bubble and brown on that hot griddle as you prepare that wonderful caramel-apple topping delicious! Now let’s make some pancakes!
Make sure the griddle is preheated to medium-high and batter up!
listed ingredients and steps are below, you can print this for your arsenal as well. Enjoy my friends! and please comment I want to hear from you!
Caramel Apple PancakesPrint Recipe
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 cup of buttermilk (*room temp)
- 3/4 cup of milk (room temp)
- 3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1 egg yolk*
- 1-2 Apples (I used Golden delicious for its sweetness, use whatever kind you like)
- 3 Tablespoons of butter ( Unsalted)
- 3 Tablespoons, plus more to drizzle on top Caramel (I used a quality brand caramel sauce)
- 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice. (if you can't get a hold of that just use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon)
- Maple Syrup
Prepare your apple topping by washing, peeling and coring your apple(s) slice them into medium wedges.
melt butter in pan on medium high and add apples, apple pie spice, and caramel stir and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
While that's simmering mix all dry ingredients together with a wire whisk in a large bowl set aside.
Add all your wet ingredients together, making sure to beat the eggs some.
Now slowly whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients, incorporate but, take care not to overmix.
Add about 1/4 cup of mix to hot griddle. if using griddle you can get about four pancakes on there at a time.
Once you see bubbles start to form and pop which takes about a minute or so, gently flip over let cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
At this time stack up your pancakes and add your toppings. drizzle some warm caramel over your cakes and some warm maple syrup with a dollop of butter! And your ready to dive in my friends! You will make these again and again.
* Its best to separate your egg yolk from your whites while its cold. once separated allow it to come to room temp. *Take your cold items out the fridge 20 minutes prior to mixing them together for best results. *I cannot stress enough about overmixing. Trust! me from trial and error I learned that less mixing and a few lumps will give you fluffy pancakes. Also you can totally wrap these in plastic wrap and freeze them for later use.